"It's like a circle, and it goes round and round..."

Welcome to the home of TheLooper where you can learn about my likes and dislikes, my dreams and aspirations, my stories and moments, all wrapped up in a pretty little bow. This is a place where all are welcome to express themselves and free will is greatly encouraged!

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

10: May the A1c be with you


At the close of May, I get to report a real-time reading of my A1c. On May 29, 2024, I went to my primary care provider (PCP) and had a 6-month check-up to see how my sugars have been.

In November, my A1c was 5.5 and, for the first time, went down during the Fall instead of up. In the previous 2 years, my A1c increased to 5.8 each time. It was perplexing how my A1c would increase in the Fall compared to the Spring. I never felt like my A1c should have gone up during the fall. In the Fall of 2021, my weight never changed from August until November, but the A1c went from 5.6 to 5.8. But then, in the Spring of 2022, as my weight increased by 8 lbs, my A1c went back down to 5.6. 

That change in A1c taught me that weight is not the real factor in determining someone's sugar control. How much they eat and how much they exercise does factor in. Additionally, genetics play a huge factor. The more something runs in a family, the more likely future generations will acquire it. Although I didn't do enough to help myself before 2021, I was fortunate to be able to make the needed changes to improve my circumstances. The motivation is what can be hard.

Not everyone who has ever had a high A1c can testify to being highly motivated to correct it. Sometimes, the news of an A1c of 10 could seem insurmountable. You spent your whole life getting to this high A1c; how could you change it in a few weeks' time? 

It's very much like Luke Skywalker trying to become a Jedi. From Luke's perspective, something sudden came up, and he had to determine where to go. He pursued a path that changed his life forever. It led to an awakening that gave him the power to overcome all obstacles and set things right for his life. Another figure has a similar story to this fictional character, Jesus Christ. Jesus, too, had a moment in His life that forever changed its course. People love a heroic story.

I'm not comparing myself to Luke Skywalker or Jesus Christ, just the journey. We all embark on a journey, and the final destination is uncertain. But if you have faith, believe in something greater than yourself and yourself, and strive to do your best, you can accomplish anything. Both of these men also had a lot of help along the way in guiding them. I, too, have had the same. So, today, it's my privilege to share the final result:


All my other vitals and blood work were normal, except for a blood glucose of 110. That was up this morning for whatever reason, but it had no bearing on where my A1c was for the last 3 months. This signifies that for the last year and a half, my A1c has been completely normal, with no elevations above 5.6. 

An accomplishment like this is not easy, but anyone can do it. The key is faith. 

So, where do we go from here? Well, first things first, celebrations are in order. I celebrated by eating the one thing I've been holding aside for months to enjoy, a Whatchamacallit bar. I love those things! Next is starting back up again to keep it going for 6 months. How will I do that, you ask?

Tune in next time for 10: The Future...






No comments:

Post a Comment